Open Door is a placement site for Healthy Futures Corps, a New York State based AmeriCorps program that improves access to primary and preventative health care for underserved populations.
Each year, 13 AmeriCorps members serve in Open Door’s medical centers, School Based Health Centers, and the greater community. Professional development is a key piece of the program. Training includes pre-service orientations, health-related workshops and regional conferences.
Minimum eligibility requirements for Open Door’s Healthy Future Corps program include:
- College degree preferred, High School diploma or GED required
- U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident
- Ability to commit to an 11-month service term
- Interest in health care and community service
- Ability to work well with diverse populations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Spanish language skills strongly preferred
Healthy Futures Corps members receive a modest living allowance, forbearance for most federally-backed student loans, health insurance benefits, and if eligible, child care benefits. After successfully completing the service term, each member is awarded a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award, which can be used toward student loans or future education costs.
For more information on the AmeriCorps program, view our past newsletter, The AmeriCorps Times: Volume 4, Issue 3 and Volume 4, Issue 2.
For more information, please contact AmeriCorps Program Administrator Martina Persson at firstname.lastname@example.org.